Litigation Assistant (Associate Attorney II)
Commercial, Fair Business, and Child Support Section - Full-Time; Anchorage
The Department of Law, Civil Division, Anchorage, is recruiting for the position of Litigation Assistant (Associate Attorney I) in the Commercial, Fair Business, and Child Support Section.
The Commercial, Fair Business, and Child Support Unit represents and assists a variety of clients in all stages of litigation from initial stages before the Superior Court or the Office of Administrative Hearings to the Alaska Supreme Court. The section also assists a number of client agencies in collecting civil fines, penalties, and judgments. The Litigation Assistant plays a central role in these collection activities, as well as, supporting the section’s litigation efforts.
The Litigation Assistant’s duties include:
- prepare in draft, format, edit drafts, and finalize for attorney signature a variety of legal documents and correspondence;
- prepare in draft and finalize initial pleadings for PFD garnishments and bank sweeps;
- prepare in draft and finalize pleadings for forcible entry and detainer proceedings;
- prepare according to court rules attachments to pleadings by compiling, stamping and marking, or Bates stamping as agency records, exhibits or excerpts;
- prepare for hearings and trials with witness coordination and hearing notebooks;
- assist attorneys in hearings and trials;
- calendar deadlines to ensure documents are filed on time;
- check court rules, case reporters, statutes, regulations, and other sources to ensure accuracy of citations and quoted text in documents;
- proofread documents for proper spelling, grammar, and punctuation;
- prepare and format documents so they strictly comply with department standards and specific requirements as to the type of document;
- arrange for service of subpoenas, summons, and petitions/complaints on parties in and out of the State of Alaska; and
- manage and update Excel spreadsheets for tracking cases with various client agencies.
The person hired for this position should possess excellent management skills, organizational skills, attention to detail, and the ability to work independently and in a team environment. Experience working on various types of litigation, i.e.—Administrative, Superior Court, and Supreme Court—is required. Prior experience with collections would be highly beneficial.
The Associate Attorney I position is a non-attorney position in the partially exempt service. Beginning salary is $4,662/month DOE and includes a full-time benefit package.
A resume and an originally authored writing sample are required to apply. You can submit your application packet via email to firstname.lastname@example.org or via hard copy to Melanie Ferguson, Administrative Operations Manager, Attorney General’s Office, 1031 W. 4th Avenue, Suite 200, Anchorage, AK 99501. Application deadline is Monday, August 5, 2019 at 5:00 p.m. For questions regarding the position, contact Rebecca Cain via e-mail, email@example.com.
The State of Alaska is an equal opportunity employer and complies with Title I of the ADA. Individuals who require accommodation to apply may call (907) 269-5100 (v) or (907) 258-9161 (TTY).