Litigation Assistant (Associate Attorney I)
Natural Resources Section - Full-Time; Anchorage
The Department of Law, Civil Division, Anchorage, is recruiting for the position of Litigation Assistant (Associate Attorney I) in the Natural Resources Section.
The Natural Resources Section supports the Alaska Department of Fish and Game and the Department of Natural Resources in defending and asserting the State’s constitutional fish and wildlife, land, and resource management duties. This position provides the opportunity to learn and work on issues pertaining to Alaska’s unique, resource-based history, and pertinent to the State’s modern resource management policy. Curiosity about these topics and an interest in discovering non-traditional research sources are important. This position supports litigation and agency advice matters by performing advanced legal research; research, review, and analysis of legislative history; preparation of large document productions in response to public records requests, discovery, and litigation; assisting attorneys during trial; and maintaining the section’s large library of specialized research materials. This position requires working closely with attorneys, other paraprofessionals, and administrative staff.
The Litigation Assistant’s duties include:
- prepare in draft, format, edit drafts, and finalize for attorney signature a variety of legal documents and correspondence;
- prepare according to court rules attachments to pleadings by compiling, stamping and marking, or Bates stamping as agency records, exhibits or excerpts;
- prepare for hearings and trials with witness coordination and hearing notebooks;
- assist attorneys in hearings and trials;
- calendar deadlines to ensure documents are filed on time;
- check court rules, case reporters, statutes, regulations, and other sources to ensure accuracy of citations and quoted text in documents;
- proofread documents for proper spelling, grammar, and punctuation;
- prepare and format documents so they strictly comply with department standards and specific requirements as to the type of document;
- arrange for service of subpoenas, summons, and petitions/complaints on parties in and out of the State of Alaska;
- manage and update Excel spreadsheets for tracking cases with various client agencies;
- maintaining the Natural Resources Section’s paper and electronic libraries of specialized research materials.
The person hired for this position should possess excellent management and organizational skills, exhibit close attention to detail, and demonstrate the ability to work independently and in a team environment. Experience working on various types of litigation, i.e.—Administrative, Superior Court, and Supreme Court—is required. Prior experience with resource management issues would be highly beneficial.
The Associate Attorney I position is a non-attorney position in the partially exempt service. Beginning salary is $4,662/month DOE and includes a full-time benefit package.
A resume and an originally authored writing sample are required to apply. You can submit your application packet via email to firstname.lastname@example.org or via hard copy to Melanie Ferguson, Administrative Operations Manager, Attorney General’s Office, 1031 W. 4th Avenue, Suite 200, Anchorage, AK 99501. Application deadline is Friday, August 23, 2019 at 5:00 p.m. For questions regarding the position, contact Anne Nelson via e-mail, email@example.com.
The State of Alaska is an equal opportunity employer and complies with Title I of the ADA. Individuals who require accommodation to apply may call (907) 269-5100 (v) or (907) 258-9161 (TTY).